Monday 9 December 2013


PINCH POT

The first step to making a pinch pot is to cut off a good chunk of clay, depending on the size you desire, and begin to compress it into a ball to get rid of all the air bubbles. While holding the clay with one hand, gently press you thumb into the ball while slowly spinning it. This will create an indentation. As you slowly do this process, you'll notice that your ball will turn in to a bowl. Continue to shape and press on the pot until you have made the pot you desire.

To create a foot, on the opposite side of the pot, make a ring with your index finger and thumb around  the edge, pushing the clay in making another indentation. Then you can create the foot you desire; I chose to make a raised foot.

Now, it's time to decorate your pot. For my pinch pot, i chose to carve a simple pattern of vertical stripes for my design.

After it has been fire, I glazed the inside of my pot first. Applied wax resist to it. Then dipped the whole pot into another color.

In to the kiln it goes for firing again, and then my pinch pot is finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment