Monday 9 December 2013

TEAPOT AND TEACUPS


Making a teapot set out of clay may seem easy, but there is actually a lot of steps to it. Every piece contained in a teapot has to made individually and then joined together with slip. First, I made a simple pinch pot with a flat foot. Then I made a spout and joined it to the edge of the pinch pot using slip. The cover for my teapot was made separately and dried separately. On the cover, I made a handle out of coils and joined it with slip onto the teapot cover.

Making teacups is actually the easy part of this construction. I simply made small pinch pots with flat foots. Basically, my teacups resemble shot glasses.

After everything has been fired, I glazed the teapot and spout with a pink glaze. And the cover and handle with a gray glaze. For the teacups, I glazed the inside of the cups with the same gray glaze I used for the teapot cover. After the glaze had dried, I applied wax resist to the glaze; therefore, when I glaze the outside of the teacups with a pink glaze, it will not mix with the gray glaze.

In to the kiln it goes for firing one last time, and then my teapot and teacup construction will be finished.



No comments:

Post a Comment